The mission of REALTOR® University is to foster lifelong student learning through high-quality, entrepreneurial and career-oriented distance education real estate programs. REALTOR® University enhances the professionalism of the real estate industry through practice-oriented educational offerings.
The University seeks to achieve its mission through the following goals to:
- Offer an applied education with real estate core, concentration coursework, and pre-requisite business courses to assist students in capturing the knowledge, skills, and business fundamentals needed to meet the current and future challenges of the real estate industry.
- Provide core competencies and a body of knowledge developed, tested, and regularly updated through continuous assessment and consultation among our faculty and administrators, business leaders, industry experts, and other educators.
- Promote teaching excellence through comprehensive faculty training and professional development activities.
- Provide training in theory and application by a faculty composed of professors and practitioners drawn from the country’s leading experts.
- Develop a network of staff, alumni, and real estate professionals to support students throughout their course of study.
- Provide an interactive and collaborative educational environment that strengthens learning and contributes to lifelong educational growth.
- Instill in students an appreciation for differences in cultures, values, and diversity.
- Provide student services that will contribute to academic success, personal development, and career potential.
- Serve higher education and the public interest as a center of research, policy formulation, and advocacy for the real estate field.
- Provide a student peer mentor program in which all students have the option of a mentor when they begin their concentration coursework.
- Offer a merit scholarship fund to provide financial support to qualified candidates. This is being done with the participation of the National Association of REALTORS®; its Institutes, Societies and Councils; REALTOR® Associations and Boards; real estate companies; and others.
In striving to accomplish our educational mission and purposes, we adhere to the following values reflecting the standards of services and conduct to which we have committed ourselves.
STUDENT SUCCESS: Fostering student success is the underlying principle that guides REALTOR® University’s decision-making and institutional activities.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: A commitment to quality pervades all of the University’s endeavors to fulfill its mission and educational purposes. This involves a philosophy of continuous improvement based upon rigorous assessment, focused reflection, and information decision-making.
ACADEMIC STANDARDS: Upholding academic standards and ensuring academic integrity is paramount in ensuring the value of a graduate’s degree.
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: Encouraging faculty and staff to engage in appropriate scholarly activities and in free exploration of ideas is essential to maintaining intellectual vitality.
EDUCATIONAL RELEVANCE: Offering programs that reflect the evolving nature of the real estate industry, technology influences, public policy demands, and encourage lifelong learning, supports the University’s mission.
ORGANIZATIONAL INTEGRITY: Involving the institution’s members in the development of policies, and employing honesty and ethical decision-making practices, is required to maintain institutional effectiveness.
RESPONSIVE STUDENT SERVICES: Providing support services to students in a responsive manner supports academic success.
BUILDING ON DIVERSITY: Maintaining an institutional culture that respects the varied perspectives and backgrounds of its stakeholders helps REALTOR® University achieve its goals.
INSTITUTIONAL IMPROVEMENT: Reviewing and improving curricula, operations, teaching and support services strengthens the University and facilitates the attainment of its mission.
EFFECTIVE RESEARCH: Producing high-quality research and public policy recommendations supports broader social and societal goals.
Institutional Strategic Objectives
Provide a dynamic learning environment that reflects a commitment to academic excellence and student success.
- Deliver the most progressive, relevant experience and education programs addressing the changing needs of the real estate industry.
- Continually evaluate and improve core competencies in consultation with faculty, administrators, business leaders, industry experts and other educators.
- Provide outstanding student services.
- Sustain a merit scholarship program for exceptional students.
- Recruit and retain world class faculty.
- Deliver a quality education experience with an academic and practitioner perspective.
- Establish appropriate faculty training requirements.
- Provide an interactive and collaborative educational environment.
Prepare graduates to be future leaders.
- Deliver an applied education with a mix of real estate core and professional concentration coursework and offer business pre-requisite courses.
- Assist students in gaining the knowledge, skills and business fundamentals needed to meet the current and future challenges of the real estate industry.
- Enhance student learning and leadership skills through mentorships with real estate industry leaders.
- Support internships to include an exposure to the workings of the real estate field.
- Explore and identify the need for other academic outreach programs.
- Develop an alumni program.
Maintain the highest standards of accountability, conduct, and financial performance.
- Manage resources in a transparent, ethical, and professional manner.
- Create an endowment and gift giving program.
- Adhere to and abide by the University Code of Conduct.
- Uphold academic standards and assure academic integrity.
Develop original and independent research.
- Deliver original, relevant, rigorous and practical results oriented data and analysis that addresses industry trends and policy issues and is the intersection between applied and academic research.
- Disseminate research to REALTORS®, public policy makers, legislators and the general public.
- Integrate research and analysis into educational programs.
- Provide research opportunities for students.
- Nurture and coordinate research partnerships with professional and academic organizations.
Foster an inclusive institutional culture that values varied perspectives of its stakeholders.
- Instill in the University community an appreciation of differences in cultures and values.
- REALTOR® University shall not deny admission or equal professional services to any person for reasons of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin or sexual orientation.
- Enrollment will be open to anyone who is interested in real estate education and meets University standards and qualifications.
Attain institutional academic accreditation.
- Seek accreditation once eligible.
- Explore and identify the need for an undergraduate real estate program.
Develop programs and partnerships to reach real estate professionals around the world.
- Leverage opportunities to collaborate with the National Association of REALTORS® global partners to promote University education programs.
- Coordinate activities and partnerships with allied and affiliate real estate organizations and academic institutions around the world.
- Develop scholarship programs to international students where appropriate.
- Recruit students internationally with the help of the REALTOR® family including REALTOR® members, REALTOR® associations, real estate companies, academia, REALTOR® Institutes, Societies and Councils, allied and affiliate real estate organizations, student members and NAR global partners.
Develop clearly defined benchmarks to guarantee that REALTOR® University is meeting its strategic objectives.
- Develop a process to continually evaluate, document and improve performance in relation to faculty, student services, financial performance, course objectives, graduate success, research and global outreach.
- Develop a separate operational plan defining benchmarks and measures of success.
Graduate School Objectives
- Developing students’ application of real estate language and principles to enhance professional practice.
- Enabling students to integrate concepts and skills across functional areas of the real estate profession.
- Strengthening students’ ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Providing students with the concepts and tools to execute ongoing quality and productivity improvement efforts.
Enhancing students’ ability to integrate effective use of technology as applied to real estate practice.
- Advancing students’ ability to demonstrate and effectively conduct academic research.
- Strengthening students’ ability to implement and execute leadership and team-building skills.
- Developing students’ ability to apply ethical business practices to managerial decision-making within the real estate profession.
- Encouraging students’ to actively contribute to the real estate profession through memberships and continuing education.
- Providing students with the foundation to demonstrate how the real estate industry impacts the national and global economy.